We want to provide outstanding care and support to everyone in North Devon who is impacted by a life limiting illness and together we can make this happen. We have supported families, friends and carers for over 35 years, at the times when they are feeling most scared and vulnerable. Our aim is to nurture content, engaged and fulfilled employees and volunteers by creating an environment of openness, honesty and trust which values every person as a unique individual. We spend a huge amount of our time at work so it needs to be fun. So, whilst we are supporting people and their families through exceptionally challenging times, as a team, we want to make time for fun and laughter.
Working with you
Feedback from our staff and volunteers is really important to us. As well as day to day conversations, team meetings and 1:1s with your manager we have in place:-
- Staff and volunteer ‘Vision Sessions’
- Staff 1:1s with the Chief Executive
- Regular Staff pulse surveys and a full staff survey
- Volunteer engagement survey
- Staff consultative forum
- Volunteer consultative forum
- ‘Ask me anything’ email address directly to the Senior Management Team.
We encourage openness, effective two-way communication and feedback – this is how we continually improve what we do.
We asked our staff and volunteers why they love working at North Devon Hospice and this is what they had to say:
Annual leave: Our starting holiday allowance is 27 days (plus bank holidays), increasing to 29 days after 5 years and 33 days after 10 years. In addition, we also give an extra day’s holiday to take on or around your birthday. All leave is pro rata for part time staff.
Sick leave: During your first year of service, you will receive one month’s full pay and after completing four months service an additional two months half pay sick leave. This increases incrementally over time, reaching six months full pay and six months’ half pay after 5 years of service.
For clinical staff joining us directly from the NHS, your annual leave and sick leave entitlements will be protected.
Flexible working: The hospice supports flexible working and offers a substantial number of family friendly leave arrangements. These range from adoption leave to IVF treatment. The flexible working policy can also be used to support people who want to gradually reduce their hours or responsibilities as a wind down to retirement. We even have a Pawternity Leave scheme!
Pension Schemes: The hospice operates two pension schemes which all employees are eligible to join after 3 months’ service: a contributory pension scheme (Hospice Pension Scheme) or a second ‘Auto-enrolment’ scheme into which qualifying employees will be enrolled automatically after 3 months. The contribution rates are as follows:
- The Hospice Pension Scheme has an employer contribution rate of 7.5% of the salary and the employee a minimum of 6%.
- The ‘Auto-enrolment’ scheme offers an employer contribution of 3% and an employee minimum contribution of 5%. All new eligible employees will be enrolled into this scheme after 3 months unless they join the Hospice Pension Scheme.
The hospice pension scheme has a death in service benefit of 4 times your salary.
For staff joining us directly from the NHS who are already members of the NHS pension scheme, you may continue your membership of this scheme whilst in the employment of the hospice.
Health Care Cash Plan: We have in place a health care cash plan for staff whereby, for a monthly fee (Category 1 being paid for you by the hospice), staff can claim money back for routine medical and dental expenses (up to an annual limit). For example, if you paid £150 for an eye test and prescription glasses, you could claim £65 back and you could claim £200 towards physio or other therapies (restrictions apply).
Health and Wellbeing: When you are in an environment at work where you feel content and supported and you feel challenged, focused and engaged in what you do, you are more likely to feel healthy, positive and energised. This is positive emotional wellbeing at work. Whilst each individual is different, positive emotional wellbeing at work encompasses your resilience, confidence and self-esteem, enabling you contribute at your very best. To support the health and wellbeing of our staff we have in place:-
- Access to a free and confidential employee assistance programme which includes legal, financial and emotional support and advice
- Individual emotional wellbeing action plans
- Access to a wide range of wellbeing resources
- Occupational Health service and support
- Mental Health First Aid Champions
- A range of wellbeing activities including complementary therapy sessions, mindfulness and yoga
- A social committee that arranges events and a hospice subsidised Christmas party. We also have an annual summer party for staff and their families
- Bike stands, lockers and showers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Corporate discount at the North Devon Leisure Centre
Volunteers are also able to participate in mindfulness sessions, yoga and complementary therapy.
In addition to these activities and schemes, there is always something else being planned or happening, from a bake-off to a walking group to an employee team entering one of our fundraising events. All these things help to make North Devon Hospice a great place to work and volunteer.
Parking: Staff and volunteers have free parking at Deer Park, Two Rivers and The Long House.
Staff discounts: Staff discounts are available at a number of places in Barnstaple and with major retailers through our Workplace Options service.